Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Let's Beat It Together!

Longest Online Friendship?

troddehtroddeh 43 PointsModerator Battletoad
I've had quite a few friendships from online interactions in games. Some of them developed into friendships that lasted the years and numerous games. One of the longest is with @Whitemoon. I met him in World of Warcraft right after launch when we formed the guild Clan Hex on Bleeding Hollow. This was also when I met @Yogzula, but I didn't do as many things with him. This was over 10 years ago and both of us have grown up and changed a bit. We drifted apart right after Clan Hex split up and the majority of the guild joined Entropy. This was a bit after we had moved to Lightning's Blade to play on the Horde.

We said hi every so often from then on. But we never got into a game like we did back then. I saw him playing Natural Selection 2 alpha one day and I asked him about it. It was a quick catch up and we went our separate ways again. Then, about 3 years ago I randomly ran into @Whitemoon while playing Tera. This was right before Diablo 3 came out. So May of 2012. We did a dungeon together and I met @Mechko that time. They ragged on me for being bad at Tera. I may have cried myself to sleep that night. A couple of weeks went by and Diablo 3 came out and I didn't play Tera anymore. I lost touch with @Whitemoon again.

And that leaves us with the events that happened in the last few months. Fight Night 1 and all of the other streaming we've done with Luke and John. All of the forum interactions and trolling people in Minecraft. I plan on meeting @Whitemoon sometime this year. Toadflax and I have been traveling a lot to meet friends in person. We've been to Texas to see Denix 3 times already and for our next trip to see him, we plan on having dinner with @Whitemoon and @Mechko. And then that ends one of my longest online friendships. I plan on meeting more people in person. I think we should do a Multitoad meetup someday. Who's in?

What is your longest online only friendship?

Comments

• WhitemoonWhitemoon 234 PointsModerator Battletoad
    :heart:
    Well my post is taken, THANKS JIMI, SOME FRIEND YOU ARE.

I'll note that I was 13 years old at the time I was goofing around with @Troddeh. Everyone from Clan Hex was pretty accepting of a little brat like me but there was a time when Jimi seemed to bring it upon himself to take me under his Chinese-American wings. I need to get a chance and try to find my old stash of screenshots. For proof of course... :cry:

Also I still don't understand what a Dort is. Help :unsure:
  • troddehtroddeh 43 PointsModerator Battletoad
    Dort was a randomized name the WoW character creation UI gave me for my Gnome Rogue. BEST NAME EVER.
    DORT DORT 2016!

When I made my Human Mage I used Dort backwards to get Trod. Whitemoon would call me "Jimmeh" and also "troddeh". So that's where troddeh comes from.
  • JAGYOOARJAGYOOAR 468 PointsAdministrator Battletoad
    I had a friend named Mary who I met online when I was like 13 or 14 at this forum software community (weird, yeah). Basically I started messing around with web design and extremely basic development back then. I would talk to some of the people from that community on AIM, but I stayed friends with this girl and talked to her occasionally online all the way up through High School and very infrequently in college (we're the same age). We're still Facebook friends actually, but we don't talk anymore. She's from California so I never met her in person.

By the way, my old gaming forum is still live and on Google, but Luke is the only one I've shown it to. I think he's still laughing. I'm not letting it get out to anyone else. Here is one of my 13 year old posts on my own website:
    Coke 0wnz. lol ;D

I agree that we need to do a Multitoad meetup some time in the future. It would probably have to be in Yogzula and my neck of the woods because that dangus has trouble making his way down from Philly to South Jersey without belly aching about it. We can do it in the Summer and rent a beach house for a week or something. :yahoo:
    I still have a lot of friends and family in Boston, so I frequent there often. It'd be pretty simple to drive down or take the train. We often go to Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun with friends, so we could just shoot down after that part of our trip. It'd be interesting to do a stream one night with all of us doing 8 player smash. All of us live from Multitoad Studios! Maybe we can do a few days in Atlantic City.
  • JAGYOOARJAGYOOAR 468 PointsAdministrator Battletoad
    [quote=4389]I still have a lot of friends and family in Boston, so I frequent there often. It’d be pretty simple to drive down or take the train. We often go to Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun with friends, so we could just shoot down after that part of our trip. It’d be interesting to do a stream one night with all of us doing 8 player smash. All of us live from Multitoad Studios! Maybe we can do a few days in Atlantic City.[/quote]

Yes, we could have quite an epic Fight Night if that was the case. If the opportunity presents itself I'm definitely down.
  • YOGZULAYOGZULA 676 PointsToad Lord Battletoad
    My oldest online friends who I still keep in touch with are anyone from clan hex in WoW. During my starcraft, diablo and wc3 days before that I had a handful of friends who are all long gone now. When I was younger I also games more with real life friends and my brother instead of strangers. WoW kind of gave me a push toward having to meet new people and make new lasting friendships.

There are a few friends who I don't talk to much anymore of haven't spoken to in years but know we've still got the same compatibility as friends as we did when we had first met. It's a cool thing to have friends near and far who you don't need to actively interact with to stay in touch.

I've always been bad at staying in touch and blamed myself mostly, but with multitoad I'm definitely putting myself out there a lot more and inviting everyone who i've ever been friends with to become a part of this community. Those who have chosen not to have also allowed me to not blame myself for failing to keep in touch with them
    Toadflax is back to playing WoW again. She has run into some people who claim that they were in clan hex. I told her next time to refer to me as Jimi and not Trod to them. She also forgot to write their names down, but said one of them started with a K. I could only think of Kopek and the person might not have been on his main. I have been trying to remember everyone from the clan hex days. Here's a list of the most notable people I can remember.

Jimi / dort / trod
    Whitemoon
    Yogzula
    Mysticsyn
    Shawn / fodus
    Dennis
    Kevin / special
    Drew / bugnuggets
    Thorspride
    Moblack
    Kopek
    Ramstein
    Andysor
    Jcutt
    thePict

I know that there are a good number of people I am forgetting. Help me out folks.
    I think you're thinking of Ramlectu, but other than that pretty spot on.

Also Zyk and Zya
    Jcutt always rolled with Conk and Brooks for a while but some of those guys might have been in aftermath for a while. I was a late addition and I know they were too I think. Andysor was as well. I miss Andysor.
    Ah, right. I couldn't think of his full name. I just remembered him as Ram.

I thought of Bloodbeard and Snookums.
    OH MAN. I never saw that before. Are there anymore of those?

Werdner and ynit
    there was a jerin/wolfbiter video where they ganked zya and chased me down but i can't find it on youtube. I also can't find the video of yogzulacart that was uploaded by some alliance gnome mage back in the day
    let it be known that i was the man and would have killed wolfbiter solo as I had many times in the past and future but he got help.

the days when bearform/resto hybrid was "feral". That healing is crazy strong and ppl die so fukin fast when they aren't in defense mode. Now everyone has a billion heals or ways to escape
    Unsouled, god bless his soul

Also, Terrrrrion
    There was Arthaszx or something like that, he had a really thick accent, I think it was Hispanic.

"Once de hoonter puts de mark on you, there is nothing you can do, you are dead"
    yeah i remember arthasx what a guy

he was right tho
    Oh man, remember Robotussin? That guy was the original Lilo to Yogzula.
    OH MY GOD. TUSSIN. I think i banned him or globally muted him when we were doing Molten Core or some shit. I got tired of his shit and his excuses. I was watching him lingering in the back of the group doing absolutely nothing.
  • PictPict 6 PointsMember Tadpole
    How crazy is it that after what, 10 years, I run across a random Google image of an old WoW video and it leads me to a gamer forum where I find a few old friends. Jimi, Yog, and Whitemoon. Long time no see to all of you! I hope life has been treating you all well. This thread was a trip down memory lane. I know it's an old thread, but hopefully everyone is still active enough to catch the post?
    dat_sniper_guy
    Pict said:

How crazy is it that after what, 10 years, I run across a random Google image of an old WoW video and it leads me to a gamer forum where I find a few old friends. Jimi, Yog, and Whitemoon. Long time no see to all of you! I hope life has been treating you all well. This thread was a trip down memory lane. I know it's an old thread, but hopefully everyone is still active enough to catch the post?

Side note: You all may remember me as Drust or Hadrian on WoW.
    Hahaha, what's up man, hope you've been well. What a surprise to see you here.
    THE PICT! NO freaking WAY

How are you dude!?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 3
    Doing very well. I've gotten married and had a daughter since the last time I spoke to you guys. My wife used to play with us as well as Kalwynn. Getting ready for a move to San Francisco and working a lot. I still find time to game a little. I play very Heroes of Newerth very casually. It's where I landed after WoW with Thors, Psychomidget, Whambulance, and a few others. They've all moved on, but I still play a few casual games a night. I keep up with Midget, MysticSyn, Drew, Spilopleura, and Matt on Facebook when I can, but I haven't run across anyone else until now. How about you guys? The site looks great and you're obviously still gaming.
    glad to hear you're doing well, if you ever wanna casually try SMITE and step your moba game up i'd play with you. Still gaming, streaming, doing youtube stuff. Having fun w/ it. Congrats on the marriage and birth of your daughter! Tell Kalwynn hello for us :)>-
    Yea congratulations on the daughter and marriage! I didn't want to ask about Kelly just in case there had been some sort of split over the years 8-X. Last month I ran into Thors, Shawn, Dennis and Whambulance on Overwatch. I still pop in on Jimis mumble server ever so often to sometimes see people.

How is Spilo btw? That is a guy I haven't seen in forever and would probably have his mind blown to know that I'm engaged now. Knew that guy when I was literally like 12.
  • KopekKopek 5 PointsMember Tadpole
    Welcome to the throwback machine
  • ButtersButters 5 PointsMember Tadpole
    Is this where we post for nostalgia?

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
Home General DiscussionComment As ...