Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Let's Beat It Together!

Dungeons & Toads

Comments

• YOGZULAYOGZULA 676 PointsToad Lord Battletoad
    new systems and house rules to expect

as we continue playing I am going to make your turns shorter and shorter. Right now we've got people learning, but eventually there won't be time to go "uhh what do I do?" and then discuss strategy. You need to know what you're going to do and take your action quickly. It helps the game move faster and makes the intensity of the battle more real.

two new systems that I'm not sure how to incorporate into d20 but I'm going to try.

1 - time limit. An event will start where a clock starts to count down. You usually won't know what it is. By the time it hits 0 prepare for trouble.

2 - count die. A number will appear on screen that is triggered by an event. Anytime you repeat the event that triggered the number, the number will decrease by one. At 0 prepare for trouble.

just keeping a log if ideas I have for the campaign here
  • OptophobeOptophobe 203 PointsMember Battletoad
    I have an idea. Stop rolling perfect 20s you cheaty-ass hoe DM.
    FilthyHippo
    the only person i'm worried about cheating is you

opto is going to show up to every session with an extra stat point and he's gonna be 19/19/19/19/19 before anyone notices
    edited October 2015 Posts: 3,541
    Update: I am making changes to 'ability score improvement' as shown in your class tables at levels 4, 8, 12, 16 and 19.

When you gain 'Ability score improvement' choose a feat and gain +1 attribute point. If you wish to take 2 stat points instead you may, but I highly encourage you to take a feat and +1 attribute. Many feats grant +1 attribute built in.

I'm basically making you stronger because I think feats are neat and would like you to pick them up.
    Don't feel the need to min/max in combat, get feats that could be cool from a roleplaying perspective as well! I will grant experience for good roleplaying, discovering secrets, sneaking past enemies, etc. No matter what happens you will always progress in exp just as much as you would if you killed all of your enemies.

Find ways to compromise with enemies, sneak by them, non-lethally dispatch them or get them out of your way, among many other creative options. Finding secrets and completing 'quests' of sorts grants exp as well. This is a roleplaying game, not just a tactical door kicker.
  • BRUCEBRUCE 4 PointsMember Slippy Toad
    alright i feel johns description strongly downplays my heroics.

let me tell the bruce version of this story (aka the canon version)

we roll up and theres a battle brewin. some giant dwarf (idk either) is bein assaulted by a bunch of goblins. an arrow whizzes by my dome and almost hits john. i ready my nerds for battle and charge in and take cover behind a rock.

hershy immediately uses john as a mount and rides right into the thick of battle. mind u, johns a ranger and he aint supposed to be in combat but he gets swindled by hershy and hes right in the center of this brawl. they stack up real nice for the giant and he brings his big ass hammer down on like four people and immediately slays john and the hersh.

meanwhile im slayin goblins left and right with my overpowered 1d8+6 longsword doin all sorts of work. i notice my team literally gets 1 shot by this big ass giant and i move in to assist. i slay another goblin and opto moves out from behind his rock and lays his hands on john and gets him up. john runs his ass away and plinks at people. optos hiding behind his rock just watching basically, and hershy's still dead af.

i make a small miscalculation and try to jump off a rock but instead i just jump over it and i use this to my advantage and i lob a javelin into his ear and do hella damage. i jump over the rock and do a perfect swan dive and slice this mans dome and LITERALLY carve his eye off. im basically a point off lethal.

at this point john decides it would be a gr8 idea to run up and stomp this man in his face and almost runs my ass over. ofc i'm the gr8st so i dodge it right but once again johns right up in the middle of this battle.

john gets slain once more again and i have to clean up this mess all over again. i charge this nerd goblin but i slip and end up face first in the dust. then gm cheater "yogzula" mccheaterson rolls two perfect dies and i get literally one shot. opto chooses wisely and heals me and lets john stay ktfo. i get up and carve that goblin in half and opto throws a mini fireball at a goblin and slays him.

these are the facts and they are indisputable

BRUCE said:

i make a small miscalculation and try to jump off a rock but instead i just jump over it

mmmhmmmm
    edited October 2015 Posts: 3,541
    special rules with character creation that I want to note in text:

you can trade 2 stats for 1 stat. I allow this once per each stat gain. (one strength, one dex, etc.). IE: -2 int, +1 str. -2 int, +1 con.

I will allow you the human variant stats (2 stat points and 1 feat) for any race. I will also be flexible with anything cosmetic. If you want your character to fight topless but you are wearing heavy armor, let me know and we will give you magical AC instead of having armor on. If your character is missing an eye that might come with a disadvantage, but we'll give you an advantage to make up for it.

I'm very flexible with customization, just run things by me first.
    Also guys there's a lot of cool shit for DnD like custom tokens, encounter decks, well drawn maps, etc. that all cost money. I can 100% manage without any of these things but they are cool and would probably enhance the experience if we had them.

If you want to throw me any money to buy some cool stuff for our campaign you can trust that's how I'll spend it.

http://inkwellideas.com/store-creature-encounter-decks/
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/350683997/tome-of-beasts-300-new-monsters-for-5th-edition/description

might eventually be able to commission someone to make a map of our world or do custom portraits for our characters down the line
    Taking the human variant on another race I assume means you don't get any other passives from the other race, right? I hope.
    yeah. it's so that you can cosmetically choose a different race without having useless stats for your class
    YOGZULA said:

yeah. it's so that you can cosmetically choose a different race without having useless stats for your class

Sounds pretty cool. Will almost certainly be doing that when my current character inevitably dies.

it's not too late to do it now, you would just have to deduct the racial bonuses you've already added
  • JAGYOOARJAGYOOAR 468 PointsAdministrator Battletoad
    YOGZULA said:

BRUCE said:

i make a small miscalculation and try to jump off a rock but instead i just jump over it

mmmhmmmm
    I think the more accurate version of this event was "Bruce slips on the rock and injures himself like a fool and falls down the other side.

If Opto's dumbass fireball he lobbed randomly into the fog hadn't caused that goblin to run over and shoot me I never would have been in that predicament.

Funny memory you have there, Bruce. 8->
    edited October 2015 Posts: 512
    JAGYOOAR said:

YOGZULA said:

BRUCE said:

mmmhmmmm
    I think the more accurate version of this event was "Bruce slips on the rock and injures himself like a fool and falls down the other side.

If Opto's dumbass fireball he lobbed randomly into the fog hadn't caused that goblin to run over and shoot me I never would have been in that predicament.

If you hadn't let Hershey ride you into the middle of several goblins and a giant then you wouldn't have been in that predicament.

You should be grateful that I revived you, then stabilized you, and then revived Bruce. You are also lucky that Bruce and I saved you from the second giant that came while you were still knocked the fuck out.
    Optophobe said:

JAGYOOAR said:

YOGZULA said:

BRUCE said:

mmmhmmmm

If you hadn't let Hershey ride you into the middle of several goblins and a giant then you wouldn't have been in that predicament.

You should be grateful that I revived you, then stabilized you, and then revived Bruce. You are also lucky that Bruce and I saved you from the second giant that came while you were still knocked the fuck out.
    I will not thank you for something done when I had left the game that was a training session anyways.

Our alliance is thin, Opto. Do not test me. :-$
    JAGYOOAR said:

Optophobe said:

JAGYOOAR said:

YOGZULA said:

BRUCE said:

mmmhmmmm

I will not thank you for something done when I had left the game that was a training session anyways.

Our alliance is thin, Opto. Do not test me. :-$
    This man is trying to play it off like I didn't save his life twice.
    i'm glad we all agree i was the hero of that fight. even though all of you weighed heavy on my shoulders, my back was strong enough to carry everyone to victory

next week i will also continue to be the pointman and the hero. do not worry lads.
    BRUCE said:

i'm glad we all agree i was the hero of that fight. even though all of you weighed heavy on my shoulders, my back was strong enough to carry everyone to victory

next week i will also continue to be the pointman and the hero. do not worry lads.

I lost count of how many times you fell unconscious.
    remember when you dopes were trying to team up to shove johns body out of the road and opto broke his wrist while bruce passed out again?

you are all just the worst
    YOGZULA said:

remember when you dopes were trying to team up to shove johns body out of the road and opto broke his wrist while bruce passed out again?

you are all just the worst

Remember when the DM was cheating?
    Yeah I've gotta say that the DM was clearly inflicting his will upon that game.
    I've been spending a lot of time searching google images for a few things, maybe you guys come across something or want to help out.

Cities and fortresses - Really cool artwork of giant cities, small towns, fortresses, etc. Link them here and we might come across them in our campaign!

DnD maps - Overhead texture maps with trees, rocks, city streets, etc. Sometimes I'll have to use some really generic shit, but other times it is cool to fight on textured land

DnD tokens - Top down view of characters. You may want to find one for your own character, so get looking!

DnD maps and tokens can both be monetized - especially ones created by people specifically for DnD that are well down. Looking at 3-4 dollars for a set of tokens or a good map. Again, if anyone wants to toss me some cheddar this is where it will go. You'll learn to appreciate the quality artwork over the shitty placeholder stuff we start with.
    One thing we probably have to consider if we want to stream this (and I think it could make for some really fun streams) is whether or not we have the rights to use these images publicly. It might just be a matter of asking the artists for permission but it's worth thinking about.
    there is nothing to worry about there. streaming something doesn't claim any kind of right to it. they're all just images found on google images and nobody making them is in any position to file a lawsuit. it's good to think about, but i'm certain we're safe in that regard
    Revamping the unconscious system

If you fall unconscious (hit points reduced to 0) you will instead be Incapacitated. The same rules apply in that you need to make death saving throws. Being incapacitated still allows you to talk and make minor interactions. You may speak weakly or make certain movements, but again they would all be weak and at disadvantage. If you decide to try to sweet at someones leg nearby I would allow it (at disadvantage) but it would also prompt nearby enemies to attack you. If you get attacked while at 0hp you automatically lose 1 death save.

The tradeoff here is that I will not allow medical supplies of any sort to bring a player back to 1hp. The only way to bring a player back from 0 hp is with magic or a short rest.
    is there some sort of rule about ur teammates literally shoving a fireball into ur back
    opto we need to talk

i need u to stop literally killing me with fire damage in my back ty
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,932
    Sanus was the MVP last time wasn't he, you guys?

Try to argue with me and his clutch kills. :>

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
Home Beat It TogetherComment As ...