Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Let's Beat It Together!

Tom Clancy's 'The Division' first impressions

YOGZULAYOGZULA 676 PointsToad Lord Battletoad
I'll bullet point my thoughts and try to keep this brief

1. I don't see the point. So you're kind of in an open world, but it doesn't feel much like an open world. Not much is going on anywhere, it's just kind of empty and linear. I don't feel any urge to explore anywhere, instead the UI is just very in your face about everything. It will mark points on your map and mark out nearby 'events'. You're basically just running between instanced encounters.

2. The encounters themself feel relatively easy. It's a cover based shooter, so the peak of difficulty feels like rolling away from grenades and making sure you stay in cover, while landing headshots effectively. I can't see their being many interesting difficult enemies considering the setting.

3. The Dark Zone is basically the PvP zone in the division, but it also doesn't feel great. There's no real direction as per what you're supposed to do, and there's no real reason to attack other players. In fact, attacking other players is basically a death sentence unless you're in a large group. By attacking another player, you are marked as 'rogue'. Enemies see you on their minimap and are basically told 'kill this guy'. Within 30 seconds you'll be surrounded and dead.

4. The graphics are pretty decent and the framerate is good and everything feels and looks smooth. The UI is extremely bulky and awkward to navigate at times, but overall is relatively functional. The controls don't feel that great. This is clearly a console game, with physics based pivoting on movement, no jumping (space bar is used for cover, double tap for rolls), press CTRL to climb over things in a very slow and clunky manner, etc. The sticky cover feels somewhat decent compared to older renditions, but it still feels shitty as a general system. I found myself getting stuck in cover or moving awkwardly in ways I didn't want to because of the sticky covering.

For an open world game, I don't see the point. The PvE feels empty and generic, the PvP feels pointless. There's no reason to engage anyone in a fight. Maybe I just didn't play enough, but after an hour I wasn't left wanting to play anymore. I just didn't see reason to. Maybe I'm missing something and I'll be surprised when I hear more about the game. As it stands, I'm not going to get it on release.

Comments

• JAGYOOARJAGYOOAR 468 PointsAdministrator Battletoad

New AAA release is uninspired and boring.

Sigh. I don't remember the last time a game dropped that made me want to drop everything and potentially damaged social relationships. Helldivers came close. Maybe I'm depressed.

• YOGZULAYOGZULA 676 PointsToad Lord Battletoad
    there are very few games I see anymore that even get me remotely interested, let alone excited. The Division was a toss up, but now i'm leaning toward not caring to get it. For Honor looks sick and I'm really hoping that turns out well, also published by Ubisoft.

Then there's always Blizzard's 'Overwatch'. It looks ok, one deciding factor is I know a bunch of old friends will get it so that's a selling point for me.
  • zeek360zeek360 6 PointsMember Tadpole
    I agree I feel as its over hyped and incredibly boring idk how people can play that shit
  • YOGZULAYOGZULA 676 PointsToad Lord Battletoad
    yeah it still blew up and people are playing the fuck out of it kind of like Destiny. I don't think console gamers have very high standards of quality when it comes to anything in an MMO setting because MMOs are still pretty new for consoles
  • JAGYOOARJAGYOOAR 468 PointsAdministrator Battletoad
    YOGZULA said:

yeah it still blew up and people are playing the fuck out of it kind of like Destiny. I don't think console gamers have very high standards of quality when it comes to anything in an MMO setting because MMOs are still pretty new for consoles

=))
    No

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
Home Video GamesComment As ...