Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Let's Beat It Together!

Nintendo is ceasing Wii U production at the end of this year.

JAGYOOARJAGYOOAR 468 PointsAdministrator Battletoad
http://mynintendonews.com/2016/03/22/nikkei-nintendo-ceasing-wii-u-production-at-end-of-year/

Not surprising. The Wii U is bad hardware and it has never sold well.

The lone reason mine gets any use at all is when I want to play Smash. The dumb gamepad dies after 10 minutes if it's not plugged in and Nintendo has done a laughable job of producing games I'm interested in playing.

They made it a challenge to create games for and alienated themselves from third party support by releasing a machine with power that only matches 10 year old Xbox and Playstation tech.

Nintendo routinely goes against logic and does things their own way. Even Smash for Wii U, a game that has seen at least SOME positive influence from LISTENING TO THE COMMUNITY still has blemishes from downright bizarre decisions with online play and balancing. Case in point: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-deletes-every-stage-by-prominent-mario-maker-s-1766213101

They got cocky after the Wii blew up when everyone lost their minds over Wii Sports and the motion control fad. I'm so tired of their arbitrary policies and I'm hoping maybe they finally change their ways after this.

Other devs catch a lot of flack for not taking risks and failing to innovate (rightfully so in most cases) but Nintendo has been mostly absolved of similar criticism when in reality, they've been just as safe with their software. No, I'm not interested in paying for old Zelda games you "remade" with better graphics. Nobody is impressed with you botching the latest Mario Party game, and I'm not interested in another Mario Kart (another layup Nintendo consistently leans on). Yet another Donkey Kong Country game isn't going to save your console.

Get your shit together, Nintendo.
Tagged:

Comments

• YOGZULAYOGZULA 676 PointsToad Lord Battletoad
    they have been innovative in all of the wrong places and have historically placed far more value on underwhelning gimmicks than they have placed on core features. They really should just stick with handhelds and milk their big franchises and expand on them with similar titles. They could even break back old, loved titles the same.

A good idea for the wii u would be if they just combined their handheld with their console. There isn't a wii u gamepad, there's just a nintendo DS U. The gamepad IS the handheld system and they work in unison. You could by the handheld for 150-200 bucks and the console for 150-200 bucks. Make both seamlessly integrated so you've got your games with you everywhere. That'd be my pitch for nintendo to set them straight.
  • JAGYOOARJAGYOOAR 468 PointsAdministrator Battletoad
    Nintendo is denying this report, for what it's worth. I stand by my criticism.

Are you saying you want them to make the DS plug into the TV?
    I think they should integrate their handheld system with their console. For instance, this is how it would work - You buy the Wii U for 200 dollars. You get your standard controller and can play games on it as normal, but it doesn't have the wii u game pad.

You buy the Nintendo DS for 200 dollars. You can play games on it as normal, it's essentially exactly the same as it is now. However, you can use the DS as the nintendo wii u game pad. Every game on the platform would have a wii u version and a DS version. So for instance if I played pokemon on the DS it would look like the typical lower resolution game you'd expect of the DS. However, if I connected my DS with my Wii U and wanted to play on my TV, it would boot the Wii U version of the game. In most cases it would be the same game but the graphics would be better and it would scale up for the big screen.

This would allow anyone with a DS to play on a big screen when they're playing at home. It would allow anyone with a Wii UI to still access their games on a smaller screen when they aren't at home. (Think of both versions of smash bros here).

This combines the signature handheld nintendo experience with their console and allows users a lot more flexibility in how they play. It increases the value of every game they buy and gives people a great reason to have both systems.
  • YoshibbYoshibb 61 PointsEditor Battletoad
    JAGYOOAR said:

Nintendo is denying this report, for what it's worth. I stand by my criticism.

Are you saying you want them to make the DS plug into the TV?

There's no reason they wouldn't deny this report, but I highly doubt this isn't true. Honestly, I feel like an idiot for having two consoles worth $600-700 together that I never use. I've played two games on the XBox One and one game on the WiiU. Part of me thinks I should just sell back the WiiU now cause it's only a matter of time before this report becomes reality.
    Well you didn't pay for either of them.

:P
  • YoshibbYoshibb 61 PointsEditor Battletoad
    I could've asked for something useful for my birthday or christmas though :p
  • zeek360zeek360 6 PointsMember Tadpole
    Lol spoiled unlike us we payed for that shit and we got a kick in the nuts it's sad to see Nintendo fail it actually hurts me because I grew with Nintendo. Oh and don't forget splat on that games massive fun
    Splatoon did look fun but I never tried it. No friends itching to play.
    it doesn't have local co-op which kind of sucks. It came with my wii-u though, so i have the game
  • zeek360zeek360 6 PointsMember Tadpole
    I would love to play splat on with you guys take one day we can stream as a team however you have to reach a certain level to do teams unless we do the regular mode but that randomized the teams so sometimes we will play together sometimes we won't
    yeah i'll have to actually give splat a try sometime. I have never even played it, lol

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
Home NewsComment As ...